Sunday 25 September 2011

Reflecting on the Information Research Process


Reflecting on my Information Search Process



Reflection on Information Search Process: I believe I had all the feelings and more of what Dr. Carol Kuhlthau says we should have experienced during our Information Search Process.
Initiation stage: To begin with I was very unsure and uncertain about what I was supposed to do with the assignment. I didn’t understand it at all.  I felt “apprehensive and uncertain about what is expected of them, depressed and bogged down and overwhelmed by all that was expected of me.
Selection stage: As I chose my general topics of Inquiry based learning, Information Literacy and Guided Inquiry I began to have more of a focus and direction of where I was headed.   However I was still feeling rather apprehensive and over loaded with everything that I had to do.
Exploration stage: As I searched the many different databases and documents and books I had various feelings ranging from confusion to excitement and optimism. It depended on what I was finding and if I could find relevant information. As I found the information about my topics I became focussed and had confidence. However, when I searched for a topic and didn’t find anything I would be confused and lack in confidence.  By then end of this stage I was feeling rather perplexed with all the information I had gathered and overwhelmed.
Formulation and Collection stages:  Once I had gathered all of my information it was time to put it all together and make sense of it all.  Although I became less overwhelmed with what I had to do, I still had feelings of confusion and unsureness as I was not 100% sure if was doing the right thing or not. 
Presentation Stage: I am happy with how I have progressed during all of the stages of the Information Searching Process. However, I am feeling rather anxious about the whole formulation of the Context. Have I done this right? Is this what Mandy is looking for?  Will I pass?
Assessment Stage: I have handed it in now. I am happy with the outcome of my context. One of the problems I faced was cutting down my words as I was 500 words over the word limit and I am still a little over.  I had some trouble finding topic sentences and then backing them up with information. I found I had adequate information to write my context and had use a variety of different sources when looking for the information.


Bibliography:
Kuhlthau, Carol (2007). Guided Inquiry: Learning in the 21st Century. Libraries Unlimited. United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment