Monday 15 August 2011

Search 2 and 3: ERIC and EBL

ERIC Database: 

My Feelings at this stage:






I entered into another new and exciting database that was going to give me some great resources for my assignment. Very enthusiastically I started to search into the search query Guided inquiry. Thankfully they make the words that I am searching for bold which I find makes it easier to see if the documents relate to what I’m searching for or not. Therefore if it did not contain the words that I searched for I disregarded those as they appeard not to be related to my topics.



Topics
Boolean Operators
Results
Reflection
Guided Inquiry

296
I was impressed with my first search as it had many fantastic resources that could be used in my Context. As I sifted through the many articles I decided  it might be a good idea to change my search to narrow it down and to add in YEAR 2, EARLY YEARS, EARLY CHILDHODD, SCIENCE and ELEMENTARY because my Class that I’ve been observing is Year 2 which is found in Early childhood/Elementary and their KLA is Science.
Guided Inquiry
Year 2
Elementary
Early Childhood
Science
AND
OR
OR
AND 
327537
Well this definitely gave me way too many results to sift through. Now I am going to take out Elementary OR Early Childhood as this makes it broader and narrow it down to Year 2 AND Science. This will also help me have more specific results in the areas that I am interested in.
Guided Inquiry
Year 2
Science
AND
AND
3
Wow that’s much better. This gave me two relevant reports to look at closer and decide if I should include them. These more talked about Science and Inquiry rather than Guided Inquiry. But its still relevant for my search.
Guided Inquiry
Year 2
AND
5
I might try and see if there are more results that include Inquiry AND Year 2.  None of these results were relevant as they were either talking about Year 1 or university or high school students.
Inquiry Based Learning
Year 2
AND
164
I changed my search to Inquiry AND Year 2 as I was not finding much on Guided Inquiry and year 2. This came up with a number of useful resources and yet again gave me hope that there was information out there.
Inquiry Based Learning
Year 2
Science
AND
AND
44
Adding Science to the search bar gave me 44 results a more manageable attempt to sort through. There were some very interesting results and some I will think about using.

My final search for this database which gave me 44 search results to go through:


Search No2.









EBL Database





Topics
Boolean Operators
Results
Reflection
Guided Inquiry

1726
Well although there were a lot of results there were not talking about Guided inquiry. It is too broad so I will have to narrow it down further.
Guided Inquiry               Primary
AND
4973
Again not really anything relevant to Guided Inquiry.
Inquiry Based Learning

6103
There were a number of relevant resources in this search. There was one called “Collaborating for Inquiry-Based Learning: School Librarians and Teachers Partner for Student Achievement”. Again there were too many resources to go through. I tried narrowing this to INQUIRY BASED LEARNING and PRIMARY however this turned up nothing much at all that was relevant, either. So now I am changing my results to another search.
Information Literacy

4293
Well with this subject search I was nicely surprise to find all the fantastic resources that this found.


Overall I was rather disappointed with the EBL database.  I believe the EBL website is more suited to looking up Ebooks that you know the names of and definitely for searching Information Literacy. It did not appear to have any results on Guided Inquiry and I am not sure of how I could have searched that to make the results more relevant than putting around quotation marks around the words that I did. At the end of this searching database I was beginning to feel a bit:



No comments:

Post a Comment